I’ve been in love with potatoes all my life. The only problem is that they are very high in carbohydrates which can and have derailed several attempts to get back on the strictest version of the low carb diet – I love them. On the new SpiteHot plan I can have them in all their creamy glory on my weekend, but during the week I have to find comparable replacements. The closest find so far has been cauliflower. It is pretty mellow in flavor, just like the potato, and can be dressed up in any fashion to fit just about any meal. The recipe below is quick, easy to prepare alongside what I am cooking for my family and, as required, is very low in carbs.
- 1 cup of cauliflower florets
- ½ clove garlic (or more if you like)
- 1 ounce cream cheese
- ¼ cup heavy cream, half & half or milk
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
- Boil cauliflower until tender. Drain.
- Place cauliflower, garlic, butter and cream in a “bullet” type chopper and process until smooth. Add more cream if needed.
- Add whatever toppings go with your main meal such as chopped fresh chives, butter or gravy.
This recipe is geared toward a single serving but if you want to make enough for leftovers you can store leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- 1 cup Cauliflower= 2.8
- 1 ounce Cream Cheese = 1 carbs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream = 1.7 carbs
Pingback: Playing Nice with Others | SpiteHot - Doing it for You